Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We need some advice about our 8.5 pound, 2-year-old

Customer Question

Hi...we need some advice about our 8.5 pound, 2-year-old miniature schnauzer. He has pink gel coming out of his bottom after a day of having small, loose stools. He's been urinating and drinking water, but then throws up his water. He also hasn't eaten today. We were out of town for 2 days and the pups stayed here with a dog sitter...we're trying to call her to see if he might have gotten into something in the pantry.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your guy isn't feeling well tonight - I think I can help. There will be a delay of 5-10 minutes while I type out your response. Thanks for your patience!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting and having diarrhea, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), GI parasites, or dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me). Dogs can have quite a lot of blood and mucus when they are having a bout of colitis - so I suspect that you're seeing him pass blood and mucus.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet. When we go back to food and we have diarrhea, it's a good idea to start with a bland diet that is three parts boiled white rice to one part boiled chicken or turkey breast. This is a great idea for any sort of diarrhea. Based on the time frame that you are describing, if he's not able to keep anything down by tomorrow morning, I'd be suggesting a call to your family veterinarian. I sure hope that this info helps - what other questions can I answer for you tonight?

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)