Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has been taking 1 mg prednisone every 3 days eye

Customer Question

My dog has been taking 1 mg prednisone every 3 days for an eye issue and she hurt he leg today and is having some pain and a hard time walking. She also broke her back left leg 4 yrs ago that never healed properly and the injury from jumping off a chair is her right back leg. She is having a hard time walking. I have some metacam, but I thought I couldn't mix it with the prednisone?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Sadie is having difficulties once again with her legs.

Yes you are correct you cannot mix the two medications. Depending on when the last steroid administration is, you can give the metacam. Typically we like a "washout" period of 48 hours if possible between anti inflammatories. Has it been 2 days since the last steroid dose?

If so you can administer it but would wait an additional 48 hours to reinstitute the prednisone if possible...

If you have tramadol that can be used without interaction concerns...

Lastly rotating warm and cool compresses on the leg and back in 10 minute intervals along with circular massage to stimulate healing and blood flow

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know any additional questions I can assist with. I am online for another 15 minutes before needing to exit for a little while...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for confirming my what I thought was correct. I love my dog to much to mess with medication. I just wanted to make sure. I have to keep her on the pednison, so I will do the compresses until tomorrow and see if she is improving or not. I don't believe it is broken, she is not crying enough for that. Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, glad the information was helpful to you!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I am checking in on Sadie to see how she is doing after we spoke the other day? I would love an update!

If you were satisfied with my responses I would very much appreciate if you would rate our conversation on the top of the page or simply type "great or good service" in the box so that I can be compensated for my time

Thank you and best of luck to you both!