Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

M y dog is a 16 lb Cavacci she just ate a black tea bag. Is

Customer Question

M y dog is a 16 lb Cavacci she just ate a black tea bag. Is she ok
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Minnie! The big concern with the black tea is the caffeine it contains. If Minnie just ate the tea bag, I would recommend inducing vomiting to try to get the tea bag out. If she weighs 16 lbs then you can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. It is best to use a new bottle for the best results, if it has been open for months it won't be as effective. If she hasn't eaten recently you can give her a SMALL amount of food beforehand which can help the peroxide work better. She can have 10 to 15 ml of peroxide. This would be 2 to 3 teaspoons. If no vomiting occurs within 10 minutes, repeat the procedure one time.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If you are unable to get her to vomit at home, I would recommend bringing her in to your vet to see if they can do it, sometimes veterinarians have medications that are injectable that will induce vomiting. I have attached a link here to an article on caffeine toxicity in dogs.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/caffeine/

Signs of toxicity include mild to severe hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, increased heart rate and blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, hyperthermia (elevated body temperature) seizures, and collapse.

Supportive treatment may be needed if you cannot get her to vomit up the tea bag.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If she vomits at home but it appears she hasn't vomited all of the tea, I would take her into your vet to be on the safe side. They can give her activated charcoal which can help prevent the caffeine from being absorbed as much. Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with our service. Good luck and Thankyou!