Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Chi ran off my shoulder and fell. She cried and then got

Customer Question

My Chi ran off my shoulder and fell. She cried and then got calm and ran around ate a bit and is now sleeping as she played all day.....what should I look for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup took quite a fall, but pleased that she seems to have no ill effects so far. Things to watch for with a fall include:

1. anisicoria or different sized pupils (see this link for an example: http://www.neonlightsimaging.com/images/cheetaheyes.jpg ) which can indicate brain trauma, including bleeding on the brain
  2. lameness, especially along with a sudden swelling anywhere and/or changes in the angulation of the limb compared to the limb on the other side.
  3. Changes in jaw symmetry or angle, broken teeth
  4. pale or white gum or tongue color (indicating shock or internal bleeding)
  5. difficulty eating or drinking
  6. urinating blood or not passing any urine
  7. swollen abdomen (may indicate internal bleeding or a bladder rupture)
  8. bruises on or under the skin on her abdomen or bottom of her chest

I would expect her to be somewhat sore, but she should be able to get around using all of her limbs, and putting at least some weight on them, and she should eliminate urine and stool and be able to eat and drink normally.

If in doubt it is always best to have her examined by a veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has already run around and played tug with my 64 lb staff and her teeth and gums look fine. Will check her stooland urine. If there is blood she goes to the vet...right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate and drank already too.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if you notice blood then she should have a hands on exam. Sometimes it can take a few hours for things to show up. But if she remains fine for 24 hours then she got really lucky and should remain so.

I am very encouraged by how normal that she has remained so far though.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Val,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chi. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm just checking in to make sure all is well with your pup or that you didn't have any further questions. Please let me know how things are going with her, thanks, ***** *****