Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog won't her dog food. It is care.it helps with weight

Customer Question

My dog won't her dog food. It is for kidney care.it helps with weight and over all care. Sometimes she will eat it and sometimes not. Any suggestions.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry Shelby is not enjoying her kidney diet any further. I would investigate alternative diets for her that are renal care because there are 4+ companies that make this type of food, Hill's K/D, Iams Renal, Royal Canin LP, Purina Renal so if she doesn't enjoy one then perhaps it is time to try another?

The great thing about all of these diets is they are 100% guaranteed so if she isn't enjoying one you simply return it and try another variety...

In addition, if needed you can feed all canned formula of the kidney food if she will eat it. With kidney disease the more water they take in the better so I often will advise a canned formula with the dry. Dry is <10% moisture whereas the canned is 75% moisture...

Lastly, please be careful with the beef gravy. If you make it at home that is absolutely fine as long as there is no salt added but if you are purchasing premade formulas please make sure they are low or no salt to reduce work on those kidneys

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today! I do definitely have dogs that are picky with the prescription diets and we have to go through several in order to find one they prefer. And in some cases rotate the brands to minimize boredom...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!