Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I have a 2 y.o. neuted chow.started barking/yelping

Customer Question

HI-I have a 2 y.o. neuted chow.started barking/yelping spasmodicaly about four hours ago.Cannot get comfortable.Races to another place in -apparently attempting to get comfortable or leave the pain behind.Occasionally attempting to bite his rear feet.I massaged his throat for a while a couple of hours ago & he did get some sound sleep for a while?Very upset little Chow who is such a beautiful dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My e-mail is not working so will not be able to receive your response.Thankyou,Peter.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

While I'm necessarily constrained by distance to determine the source of Curly's pain - and I believe you're correct in considering pain to be the cause of his agitation - such pain and biting of the hind feet suggests spinal cord compression and referred pain (think: sciatica) resulting from intervertebral disk disease - a "slipped disk". If I'm correct, it would be prudent to have Curly's vet attend to Curly at your earliest convenience. I hope you can get your email working. Most of us aren't allowed to communicate with customers by phone. I'll opt out in case another expert can communicate in that manner.

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your question today. I want to check in and see how things are going. Did you dog's symptoms resolve or did you end up seeing a vet? In addition to what was mentioned above, I am concerned about an issue with fleas or anal glands. I would like to discuss this further with you.