Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a 14 year old miniature female dachshund, weight 7 to

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old miniature female dachshund, weight 7 to 8 pounds, that has an oral nasal fistula. She has had regular cleanings, but overtime many of her teeth have been extracted. The last extraction created a hole in her gum line. The vet repaired it, but it opened up again. I was told there was not enough gum to lap and cover the area and the only remedy was an expensive surgery. It was not recommended at her age. The oral odor is nauseatingly foul and her snorting and discharge has become excessive. I have read about R-Gel and wonder if this is a viable alternative and if so, where can I find a vet that will prescribe the treatment? I hear it is fairly new. Thank you for your response.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Oh, I am so very sad to hear your dog has this. This can be fixed, but it may require a veterinary dentist to perform the surgery. Sometimes they can be really tricky to repair, and it sound like this is the case. As long as the hole is present, there is going to be odor and infection. There is not much that can be done other than surgery to repair/close the hole. I wish I could say I think the gel will help, but it probably will not. Oral antibiotics as prescribed by your veterinarian will help control infection, possibly reduce nasal discharge and reduce odor, though. This might buy you time to get a referral to your closest veterinary dentist.

Here is a wonderful link on the American Veterinary Dental society page that discusses the next step surgery (and this is a tricky surgery which sounds like your vet cannot do this; referral to a dentist is needed; let me reassure you this CAN be repaired; I've seen awful fistulas that are fixed) when the first flap repair fails: http://www.avds-online.org/info/oralnasalfistula.html

You do not need an official referral to see a veterinary dentist. If you want to search your area for a dentist here's one place to do a search:AVDC Dentist Directory or Vet dentists

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm just following up to see if you had any additional questions. And find out how everything is going with her therapy. Let me know if I can be of assistance.