Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

MY DOG ATE A PLASTIC SPOON A FEW MINIUTES AGO. HE ATE OVER

Customer Question

MY DOG ATE A PLASTIC SPOON A FEW MINIUTES AGO. HE ATE OVER HALF OF IT
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did he eat that piece whole or chew it up?

Was the left over edge sharp in appearance (so we can determine if the bit in his stomach is)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HE CHEWED IT AND THERE WERE SHARP LITTLE PIECES ON THE FLOOR
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Give me a moment and I will type out my thoughts and a treatment plan.

-Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

Now we do always need to tread with care in these situations. Especially if we have the potential for sharp edges lurking in that stomach. This is because not only is there a blockage risk, but we do have to be worried about those pieces causing gut damage. So, we do need to proceed with caution here.

In regards ***** ***** options, since he just ate this, the best option would be to have him to his vet (or the vet ER) urgently for scoping. His vet can use their endoscope (scope with a camera) to go into the stomach and remove all that plastic before it can do any harm. And that would be the safest approach here for Snickers.

If that is not an option for any reason, then the next option would be to try administering a "Vaseline sandwich" to your lad. This will sound odd but can be helpful as the bread will coat the plastic to reduce its ability to harm the gut and the Vaseline will help it slide through. To make this, just take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with Vaseline (as if you were buttering it) and cover with a second slice. Feed it to him piece by piece for ease of him eating this.

Afterwards, to keep things moving, you can add a spoonful of canned pumpkin to a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese or scrambled egg) for the next few days to help bulk up his feces and push this material through.

Finally, while doing this we do want to monitor him closely for any complications or adverse signs. Specifically, we'd want to watch out for would be vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, belly pain, excessive panting, paling gums, blood in vomit/feces, straining to pass feces, or a darkening of his feces. If we see any of these signs, then that would be a cue to get him to the vet immediately for an examination +/- xray. But as long as he is comfortable you can closely monitor him to see if he can pass that plastic with the above "encouragement".

Overall, sharp plastic ingestion is a real worry since it can lacerate the gut and be potentially be fatal. Therefore, we have to be very careful here. Therefore, ideally it'd be best to have him urgently to your vet for scoping. Otherwise, if this is not possible, you can choose to take the above steps while monitoringhim carefully. And if he doesn't settle or you did see any of those signs, we need get his vet involved urgently to make sure this doesn't cause him any severe harm.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check HERE and @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additionalinformation, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr.B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Best wishes for Snickers,

Dr.B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Janet,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Snickers. How is everything going?
nekovet