Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Question about my mastiff i am beside myself and need to

Customer Question

question about my mastiff i am beside myself and need to know how to calm her down
We took her to the vet because she can hardly get up and they thought it was a sprained or pulled muscle
she is on rimadyl and tramadol for the pain but she is roaming endlessly through the house
She has been doing that all night We recently had all blood work done and everything is normal (two weeks ago)
I intend to take her in in 5 hours to our vet
to see if maybe they can X-ray her legs In the interim, could you be of any help or have any suggestions. This is killing me We don't know what to do for her. She doesn't want to pee, drink or eat but has done fine with all three
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Your Mastiff's aimless wandering indicates either the intractable pain of a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) or encephalopathy (brain disorder). For now, tramadol can be given at a higher dose. The new dosing recommendation is 2-5 mg/lb every 8-12 hours. The Rimadyl dose shouldn't be increased. Rather than leg X-rays, spinal X-rays are indicated in such a patient. We're looking for signs of degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") which may or may not show up in X-rays and if that's the case, MRI is likely to be recommended for a better look at her spinal cord. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.