Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 89 pound boxer just ate 200 mg lexpro. Please help

Customer Question

My 89 pound boxer just ate 200 mg lexpro. Please help(###) ###-####
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before.Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now this is not a drug we use in dogs, therefore we do need to tread with care. The dose she has had is 2.4mg/kg and that does carry a risk of some adverse signs. Specifically, we could see lethargy and wobbliness for up to 24 hours. Thankfully, she hasn't enough that we'd expect tremors, seizures, or organ damage.

Now if it has been less then 2 hours and she isn't yet showing signs, then you can induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, she has had enough to cause some adverse signs but not our more serious ones. Therefore, we can use one of the above now to prevent any risk and/or monitor her for the next 24 hours as this drug runs its course. Of course, any worries or if she does show any of those further signs, and we'd want to have a check with her vet for IV fluids to get this out of her system quicker.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. If Thank you! : )