Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 11 year old sheltie has lost vision in s left eye. It

Customer Question

My 11 year old sheltie has lost vision in his left eye. It started as allergy and about 3 days later started turning upward in his head and could see blood in the eye. My vet has checked for glaucoma, run ultra sounds, says she can't even see the lens or retina anymore. Has given me drops to put in his eye, anti biotics and vit. k. She is at a loss as to what is wrong and has talked to other vets. Do you have any idea what it could be, she said he would never get vision back in the eye. Thank any information would be appreciated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problems with Casey. So what does his eye look like right now? Is it filled with blood? Can you see any of the pupil and iris anymore? Does he seem to be in pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is like it about half way rolled up in his head, can only keep his eye about half was, real droopy lid, still seems to be some blood but hard to tell. Does not seem to be in pain
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Does the affected eye appear to be sunken/retracted? or does it seem larger than the normal eye? Is he otherwise acting normal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it still seems to be same size as the other eye. When he first got it his eye was budging. He does seem more tired than unual but is always ready to go. Did not mention he is also in renal failure, she said from eating the milo chicken jerky few years ago do not know if any connection
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Has he had his blood pressure taken?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry, but I am not set up to take phone calls. If you would like to continue to live chat, I can do that, or if you prefer I can opt out of your question and you can see if someone is available to call you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I appreciate your help but know it is hard to make a diaganosis. So this was satisfaction gauranteed, I think I would rather you just credit my card back. Thanks
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

The reason I ask about blood pressure is that hyphema (this is the term for blood in the eye) can be caused by high blood pressure which can sometimes be seen with kidney disease.

Another big thing I worry about with your pup is could there be a growth/tumor inside or behind the eye that is causing the blood and the issues with the eyelids not opening all the way... the situation with the eyelids makes me worry about something affecting the nerves.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, I don't actually deal with any of the billing or credit card- I am just here answering questions.

I would strongly suggest consulting a veterinary ophthalmologist if there is one anywhere nearby.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has checked his blood pressure everytime I took him in and it is always normal. When she did the ultra sound nothing showed up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** should I contact toget credit to my card?
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

My screen looks a bit different than yours, so I can't see what your available options are, but I submitted your request to the help center, so hopefully they will be able to take care of it for you if you can't figure it out from your page.