Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 6 year old English bulldog- he was laying in the

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old English bulldog- he was laying in the backyard and I heard him barking like in a dog fight barking- when I got to the back door he ran to me dragging his legs behind him. I do not see any puncture wound from a possible snake but I am not ruling it out... What else could possible be the issue?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

A snake bite shouldn't cause peracute (sudden) hind leg paresis/paralysis. I'm concerned that he slipped a disk or suffered a fibrocartilaginous embolism/FCE - an interruption of the blood supply to his spinal cord. All the other causes of hind leg paresis/paralysis take time to develop - tick paralysis, Coonhound paralysis (polyradiculoneuritis), and infections in the central nervous system. It's best that Hoss be attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience. His conscious proprioception - knowing where his legs are in space - and nociception - deep pain perception - need to be assessed. If compression of his spinal cord is occurring from a slipped disk, e.g., prompt anti-inflammatory medication is very important for functional recovery to be possible.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this have caused him to cry out in the barking that sounded like a fight just prior to?

Yes, both a disk and FCE can be quite painful and precipitate such vocalizing. The pain persists with a disk but abates quickly with FCE. Can Hoss stand if you prop him up on his hind legs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One hind leg seems to be somewhat working but he drags the other- he doesn't seem to want to get up now... I did prop him up but both legs will not function together.

I understand. One leg working somewhat is better than both not working at all. If you have access to a veterinary ER, please take him there to be treated with a potent antiinflammatory drug. I have to leave my computer for a couple of hours but promise to reply when I return if need be.