Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

I have a English Springer Spaniel. 7 years old and in good

Customer Question

I have a English Springer Spaniel. 7 years old and in good health. About two months we noticed he was favoring his left front foot. We checked for burr's etc. but nothing. I was walking him 4 times a for about 20 minutes. He has continued to get worse to the point about 3 weeks ago we took him to three different vets and none know what is wrong. We have had xrays about 3 weeks ago with no conclusions. We took him to the surgery center of Michigan two days ago and had a CT scan and contrast media with no conclusions as to the problem. There are no tumors, swelling or indication of bone, muscle or tendon issues. He continues to worsen as he now is barley able to put his paw down. It seems in the morning that he is better able to walk (although still with a limp) but as the day progresses he gets worse.
Could this be a nerve problem that can't be seen on the xrays, CT scan or contrast?? We are at a loss and love this dog dearly. It's killing us to see him in pain every day. Can anyone help or give us a direction to follow??
Please....your help would be greatly appreciated.
Gary
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did forget to mention that he is licking a specific location just above his wrist joint (on top) to the point we have to wrap it to keep him from making it raw.
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has he been on any pain medications, and if yes which ones? Where does the discomfort seem be concentrated in the leg is it at the shoulder joint, elbow, paw?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is currently on Novox one pill per day @ 100 mg. He's been on that for about 3 weeks; since the xrays were taken. He is licking just above the wrist; not the paw or the elbow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I can't answer your questions via text msg. This is the only way I can respond. The doctors have checked his range of motion in his neck, shoulder, wrists and paw with no discomfort or issues.
Gary

Okay thanks for the additional information. Has the Novox been effective at all? There are a couple of recommendations I have to help determine what could be causing the pain if you haven't done them already. Did they talk to you about possible joint disease. Sometimes dogs can develop inflammation in the joints that can be diagnosed by testing the fluid surround the joints. If the results indicate that there is a joint inflammation present sometimes the treatment may involve a steroid either injected in the joint or given orally. Also one medication I offer to clients that seem unresponsive to Novox is a medication called Adequan. Which is an injectable Glucosamine supplement. It seems to help in some difficult cases dealing with pain.

As far as a nerve being involved. Typically with nerve disease I tend to see neurological problems as well such as knuckling of the feet or back pain with difficulty walking. Based on what you are describing and how it is progressing, it seem like nerves seem to be less likely unless you are seeing other nerve problems as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the Novox has done nothing although we have kept him on it. No disease, cancer, growths, tumors, fluid, etc. No other nerve problems. This issue is localized to his left wrist area only.

Sorry for the delay in my response, seems like the server went down for this website so I was unable to respond

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you read my response before? No disease, cancer, growths, tumors, fluid, swelling, etc. Localized to his left wrist.

Since it seems like you ruled out some of the most common problems with the diagnostics. You should ask your veterinarian about trying Adequan injections to see if it will help relieve his symptoms. This is the injectable Glucosamine. Also you may also see if he is a candidate for switching from the Novox to the Prednisone to see if you can achieve pain control better with it. He may need to be off of the Novox for a couple of days before starting the prednisone since both medications combined could potentially cause ulcers. There are also new pain control modalities such as cold laser therapy or ultrasound that has worked well with dogs with chronic pain. These are typically performed at a animal physical therapy referral practice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your suggestions. I would hope that there is an answer to this somewhere. I had a healthy dog 2 months ago and now he can't walk. No accidents where he tripped or stumbled or anything that would cause this level of limp. This came on relatively slowly; 2 months; he didn't just start limping one day. Again thankyou for your help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you know of a highly specialized Vet that might have a vast knowledge in this area please provide my phone #(###) ###-####Gary.
Thanks

You are welcome. Hopefully you can find some relief for him pretty quickly. Do you have any veterinary schools near you . Are you close to Michigan State University Veterinary school? They may be able to help you because they usually have the newest diagnostics and the best specialists.

Veterinary schools usually see the most unusual and rare cases so I am sure they should be able to help you