Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog is chewing her back/ bottom by the tail/. Someone

Customer Question

My dog is chewing her back/ bottom by the tail/ butt. Someone told me it looked like mange, but I don't think this is the case. She has been at it for about a month now i bathe her in dawn once a week ive been putting coconut oil in her food and on her bottom; I've also put peroxide mixed with baking soda and applyed it and then i have a bacterial/fungal spray for her back/bottom area. I've actually thought about geting her benadryl/ and hydrocortisone so i will try those as well
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your pup's problem! Can you tell me if she has any crusts or scabs or bumps that look like pimples on her skin? Is she on a flea preventative?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shes been chewing it bloody but thats the only area bothering her, no pimples, ive also been keeping Neosporin on it for her sores I give her trifexis for heart worms and fleas
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I am very glad to hear that she is on Trifexis. The area you are describing is the most common area for itching/irritation due to fleas. Even if you don't think you see fleas, some dogs have an allergy to flea bites and just a few bites can make them intensely itchy like this. And even though she is on Trifexis, it can still be possible to get a flea bite, so that could be the initial cause of her problem. It is possible that your pup has developed a secondary bacterial infection of this skin due to the chewing/itching and may need an oral antibiotic or steroid to decrease the inflammation. I would stop using dawn to wash her weekly because it could be drying out her skin and making things worse. I would also stop the peroxide and baking soda. You can continue the bacterial spray and I would use a hydrocortisone spray several times daily as well until you can get in to the vet to see if an oral steroid is needed. She needs an e-collar (cone) temporarily to stop her from biting/chewing the area because it will not heal if she keeps biting at it. It is possible she has developed what is called a hot spot. We often end up shaving the area so that it can be thoroughly cleaned and isn't remaining moist and contaminated. I have attached two articles on allergies and hot spots for more information.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2604

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2714

Please let me know if you have any other questions!