Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 2 year old Shepard mix. She has throw up at least 5

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2 year old Shepard mix. She has throw up at least 5 times within the last hour. She threw up first thing this morning a yellow liquid. Then didn't want to eat much but what she did she also threw up. She no longer has food in her but she continues to throw up yellow liquid
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started this morning around 9am. It is now 12:31pm. I'm not to sure if she ate anything out of the normal. She stayed in my garage yesterday while I was at work and I did see that she chewed on some spray can caps. And she weights 52 lbs. no other symptoms other then throwing up. Doesn't seem like she can keep water in either
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when a young dog like Rylie is vomiting so frequently and not able to keep anything down we really need to consider the ingestion of a foreign body. Other possible causes are: Dietary indiscretion, infections, pancreatitis, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays as initial screening test.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!