Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My yorkie got a glass ornament off Xmas tree and broke it I

Customer Question

My yorkie got a glass ornament off Xmas tree and broke it I don't know for sure if she ingested any just gave her some pumpkin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Abby grabbed and broke a glass ornament and I understand your concern.
I do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases where dogs eat sharp objects like glass. The chances of tearing her esophagus or stomach as it contracts to force the pieces out is much too high.
In this case we need to try and hope that we can get any sharp pieces to pass through her gastrointestinal tract safely.

The other concern is if this is a leaded glass ornament, we want to get the pieces out before much is absorbed, so we use fiber to help push them through and protect her gastrointestinal tract.

To help I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich. Take half a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with the second second slice. Feed it to her bite sized piece by piece or she will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the pieces slip rather than catch.
For the next few days, until the pieces pass, she'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded.
A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, very lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 white rice. Add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.
You'll need to check her stools frequently for glass pieces in the next few days.

Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, very bloody stools, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.
If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have her checked.
Once the pieces are passed and she's feeling well then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.
Let me know if you have any questions.