Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6mo. Old puppy started throwing up 2days ago. First, it

Customer Question

My 6mo. Old puppy started throwing up 2days ago. First, it was clear yellow, then viscous yellow with grn. Plant now slightly drk yellow and brn. Foul odor. 3rd day she sounds cogested. She's not drinking water as before. I dont have transportaion or money to take her to the vet. She just expelled a lrg. Amt. Of liquid foul almost chemical smell brown diarrhea, nothing in it just water like. She was fine 3days ago. What can I do ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does she have any nasal discharge? What color?

Can she keep any water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any blood in her diarrhea?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you and I am very concerned about Vyi. Young pups can be quite vulnerable to bacterial, protozoal, and viral GI infections. We do have a range of worries, especially if she is not vaccinated (parvo and distemper becoming worries as well). Furthermore, we do have to worry if she is passing diarrhea, vomiting, and drinking less; since this can be a recipe for dehydration, nutrition loss, and can put her at real risk.

Therefore, I will outline some supportive care that you can try with her, but we need to tread with real care. If she doesn't settle with the steps I will now outline, then we do need her seen. I appreciate that this may mean finding transportation (ie friends, family, taxi, bus, seeing if the local vet has a pet ambulance, etc) but if she deteriorates this could be fatal for her. Now in regards ***** ***** with costs, I do want to note some options that could help. First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via:

VCA:(http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer).

Banfield: (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon).

Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html)or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills).Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Now in regards ***** ***** care, I do need to first warn you that you cannot syringe fluids/food to a vomiting dog. This is because it carries the risk of making her vomit more. Instead, we'd want to start by trying to allay the nausea causing her to vomit. To do so, you can try her with an OTC antacid like:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

If she can keep that down and settles a bit, then we can focus on food/fluids, and managing her diarrhea. To start with that, we'd want to offer small meals of a light diet. Examples you can feed are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish,cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea.

Since dehydration is a serious risk here,we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture as I asked, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

That said, if she does settle enough for us to give fluids, then we'd want to use an electrolyte solution (ie Lectaid, Resorb, Pedialyte)f for her. Dose-wise, we want to give 48ml per kilogram of her weight daily plus an amount to match her diarrhea and vomiting losses.

Of course, any vomiting from our interventions and we'd need to again discontinue pushing fluids with her.

Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal.As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, FastBalance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores,and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, we need to really tread with care with Vyi. Her situation is very serious and we need to be proactive to help her before this gets too advanced. Therefore, consider starting the above but do look into those lower cost options in case she doesn't settle or needs further treatment (ie antibiotics, anti-nausea medication by injection,IV fluids). That way we can make sure that this doesn't have a chance to push her over the edge and we can give her the best chance of recovery.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She wants to hide from me . Just checked her gums, they look dark like almost purple or mauve purplish. She doesnt let me check her bottom Gums. She is drinking water, lots of it now butjust 30min. Before she expelled a mod. Amt of drk. liquid fou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I give her lomotil ? Thats all I have . The water she just drank all came up but I can try all that you mentioned earlier.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Dr. B. I'll be taking care of her all day , She was the runt of the litter and normally fiesty. I hope she will pull through ❤
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

It would be better to use the Kaolin from the pharmacy. If you only have Lomotil, then she can have a tiny dose of 0.05 mg per pound two to three times daily. Otherwise, do only offer her small sips of water to try and get her to drink without vomiting (since overfilling the stomach will trigger the vomiting). Otherwise, do keep an eye on those gums. They should be pink (rosy). To have purple gums (unless she is a dark pigmented/black dog), raises worries that she may be septic or struggling with oxygen update (less likely if her breathing is normal)

Please take care,

Dr. B.