Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog died at hospital after pyometria surgery. Im looking

Customer Question

my dog died at hospital after pyometria surgery . Im looking for somewhere to take records because i believe they did something wrong. How can i find a vet that will give me a second opinion
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You'll need to find out if your dog's attending vet belongs to the local veterinary medical association. If so, call that association and ask to speak to peer review. Peer review usually consists of a panel of veterinarians who will request the vet's records and any history you want to provide. The case is then adjudicated. Please note that peer review is not a regulatory body and can't dictate how you might be compensated or how a vet may act toward you. If you're not satisfied by peer review's decision or the attending vet doesn't belong to the local veterinary association, you can contact the Texas board of veterinary examiners and ask to file a complaint. The board is a regulatory body with the power to judge and then regulate how a vet may continue to practice. Disclaimer: I headed up peer review for my local veterinary association and always recommended that an owner speak to the attending vet first. If that weren't possible or the owner weren't satisfied after speaking to the attending vet then peer review was my next recommendation. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.