Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is blind and has trouble at night she wakes up very

Customer Question

My dog is blind and has trouble at night she wakes up very confused in the middle of the night and either has an accident or cries. Even if we take her out before bed. Can I give her a small amount of Tylenol pm safely. We tried it and it helps her sleep through the night. She has SARDS
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now we wouldn't want to give Nalah Tylenol here. Though if you did want to try her on the sedating medication in that preparation, it is just Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). So, you could just give her a low dose (0.5-2mg per pouind of her body weight) of that. It is a much safer option then giving her the Tylenol PM. Of course, if that doesn't settle her, then it may be worth speaking to her vet about Diazepam or even consider medication to reduce her mental confusion/agitation at night (ie dementia aids like Vivitonin or Aktivait; calming treatments like Adaptil, Kalmaid, Zylkene, etc).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eleanor Kramer,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Nalah. How is everything going?
nekovet