Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is a doberman/greyhound and she's about 9 or 10 years

Customer Question

My dog is a doberman/greyhound and she's about 9 or 10 years old. But she won't stop throwing up and pooping everywhere. She is also surprisingly skinny.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help me I don't know what to do.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has she been showing signs?

What is she bringing up in her vomit?

Can she keep water down?

Did she start vomiting before or after the Benadryl?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shes been showing signs for about 2 months. Her vomit is yellowish and watery. She can keep water down but cant keep food down. She atarted vomiting about 3 days after the benadryl. She doesnt have any discomfort. She has eaten Ceramic. Yes she has a lot of diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I do want to note that Benadryl can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Therefore, you do not want to be giving this while she has GI upset. Further to that, if she is eating odd items and this has been going on for months, we need to tread with care. This is because they will lose weight with chronic vomiting and diarrhea no matter how mich you feed. And to see signs present for so long really raises worries about chronic bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or GI upset secondary to metabolic disease (ie diabetes, Cushing's disease, Addison's, etc), organ issues (ie kidney, liver), and even cancer. So, we need to be proactive and help Athena now.

With this all in mind, I will outline some supportive care for you to try, but we'd be best to have a check up with her local vet. That way we can make sure there is no infection or more serious issue present that needs treatment to clear. Otherwise, to start you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, if you find she cannot even keep these down, then this would be a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

After this, you can start her on light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish,cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset, weight loss, and diarrhea.

Since dehydration is a real risk here for Athena, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are afew things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon)would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing. And if this has been going on for 2 months already, then we do have to be worried about those more serious issues for her. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care now but if she doesn't respond to that with in the next day or so; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Bloods can also be checked to make sure her organs are working as they should. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle this for her before she just fades away on us.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additionalinformation, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She also has lumps in her throat and she doesnt like for me to touch them.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

If they are lumps under her jaw, then we'd be worried about her lymph nodes being elevated. This can be in response to infection but if very large, then there is a risk of a type of cancer called lymphoma. So, if these are very large and sore, we'd be best to have her checked at this point and not let this linger.

Take care,

Dr. B.