Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My pug has had a broken pelvis and it causes s to become

Customer Question

Hi Dr. John, My pug has had a broken pelvis and it causes his to become constipated every now and then, my vet suggested I give him an enema and now I'm reading that they can be toxic to pets but I've already given it to him, should I try and flush with warm water?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome. I am afraid the expert you requested is not online at this time. Still, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we do need to tread with care with saline enemas. You didn't list a weight for Max, but I do want to note that listed toxic doses are 2 fl oz for dogs less than 25 lbs and 4 fl oz for dogs over 25lbs. So, this may not be a severe issue for Max. Therefore, you would want to flush with warm water and make sure he has access to fluids so that he can counter any osmotic electrolyte imbalance from this. And just to note, if we are going to see any signs, they'd be in the first hour after use and could include lethargy, wobbliness, heart arrhythmias, tremors and seizures. But again, this sounds like a borderline situation for him.

Finally, if you do need to give any further enemas, I would suggest using a combination of luke warm water, dish soap, and KY jelly. This is just what we use for enemas in dogs and it is very safe. So, that would be a better option for the future.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )