Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I'm pretty sure my dog has kennel cough. We got her from a

Customer Question

Hi. I'm pretty sure my dog has kennel cough. We got her from a pound a few days ago. I just now noticed a big red enflamed-looking spot on her neck. Do you know what that is or if it's related to kennel cough? I'm really worried for her :( I don't want her to be in pain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Does the spot have any crusting, pimples, or ulcers?

Is she rubbing or scratching it?

Does it look moist or dry?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clipicon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached a picture. It looks like it has a little crusting and possibly some pimples or ulcers? If so, they're very small. It's not moist. I haven't seen her scratch it or anything. I touched it to see if it hurt and she didn't show any sign of pain. Could it be from her collar? She chokes herself a lot when I take her for walks. And she'll start running really hard and fast and then get yanked back when there's no more leash. I don't know how to stop her from doing that. Also, she got her collar from the pound she came from. It looks old and pretty dirty, like other dogs have used it before. Could it be infecting her? I didn't even think about it until I saw that thing on her neck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's another one
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on the photo, that actually looks like a healing moist dermatitis or possible traumatic scratch (especially if it is near the collar line). In any case, this looks to be healing, so we'd not be overly worried here. If any of it looks a bit open or weepy, you can salt water bathe the area (1tbsp salt to a pint water) it a few times daily, dry it thoroughly, and then apply a bit of OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin). If you see any more of this, do consider a new collar (the old one is likely carrying quite a bacterial population) and/or using a Gentle Leader/Halti to help keep her from pulling as you teach her to walk on a lead.

Otherwise, if she did come from the pound, then kennel cough is quite likely. Do be aware that they often need a course of antibiotics to clear that (perhaps see if the shelter has a vet that can see her and dispense these since she will have caught it from the facility). Otherwise, just to reduce and soothe this cough, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Or you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications like acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine. As well, soft foods can be of benefit to a sore throat (just as it is for us).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )