Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Weight loss 20% over last 2 months, bad breath, lips gums,

Customer Question

weight loss 20% over last 2 months, bad breath, white lips gums, lethargy, getting worse.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Buster. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, are you there? I'm eager to discuss Buster with you because the symptoms you are describing are very serious. I'm worried he has a life-threatening illness and - even though he's been sick for quite a while - he is in need of emergency care.

Please type in a short response to let me know you are there, and let me know exactly what your question is for me.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Buster's white gums are the most critical finding and indicate life-threatening anemia. His breed (part Boxer), age and weight loss in conjunction with his anemia are most indicative of advanced neoplasia (cancer). Buster will need the attention of his vet but I believe that euthanasia may well be a kindness for him.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.