Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a one year old lab. Just turned one oct.12. She had

Customer Question

I have a one year old lab. Just turned one oct.12. She had her first cycle five weeks ago. I think my male lab got to her. Her tits look they are filling up and afraid she may be pregnant. She weighs about 65lbs. What I want to know is do you think my lab and puppies will be ok or should I let the vet take care of the situation ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I have a few questions for you. Were you planning on using your female for breeding anyway? Is she a healthy dog? Any major concerns with her or the male?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Are you online to answer my questions so I can help?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Since you don't seem to be online I am going to opt out so another expert can help when you get back online.

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats.

If you girl is in good health and feeling well, my suggestion is to make a non-urgent appointment with your vet to give her a good look over and prepare for puppies. If you have no idea, your vet can help you determine about how far along she is and when to expect puppies. After day 45 of gestation, it's also a good idea to have the vet take an X-ray and count puppies so that you know exactly how many to expect when she's having them. That way you'll know when she's done and not have to worry about any puppies left unborn. It's also a good idea to see the vet so that they can pencil you in on their calendar and know to expect that you might need guidance, or in a worst case scenario, a C-section. While some hospitals are able to cover their own C-section emergencies, others will have to refer you to an emergency hospital. In my hospital, once we have seen a pet and have a rough idea of their due date, we will make arrangements within our own schedule for emergency care of that pet if needed. If a person calls who isn't a client and hasn't been seen by us in a birthing emergency, we often will refer them to the local ER. So in some cases, it's best to have your vet involved so that they can guide you if you need it.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)