Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

All of a sudden my little pom needed to get outside to

Customer Question

all of a sudden my little pom needed to get outside to vomit. It was several piles of yellowish chunks. a'Are we in trouble here?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to see Sammi isn't feeling well. How is he acting since vomiting? Has his energy level been normal?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Since you don't seem to be online I am going to opt out so another expert can help when you get back online.

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works with dogs and cats exclusively. I see that your girl was having a rough night last night but we were unable to connect with you. I'm writing to see how she is doing this morning.

When I see dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

Please let us know how she is today and what other questions we can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)