How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11099
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A Yorkie just ate 30 40 peanut mm when I ran errands what do

Customer Question

A Yorkie just ate 30 40 peanut mm when I ran errands what do I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Luckily there is very not a lot of chocolate in the M&M's and at worst he will have gastric upset from the ingestion. 1 cup is 184 mg of theobromide and I imagine that 30-40 is 3/4 cup?

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds to void the chocolate and minimize possible side effects of ingestion. Then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If it has been more than an hour then I would advise:
- A nice long walk to help stomach emptying which will in turn reduce cramping from the ingestion
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound over the counter every 12 hours for a few days
- Wait a few hours and feed a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken to settle the stomach

If there are any symptoms of chocolate toxicity they can include vomiting, diarrhea (mild symptoms), to muscle tremors, hyperactivity, increased water intake, restlessness. If any of these more serious symptoms are seen (typically within 4-6 hours of ingestion) then please consider a veterinary er.

If there is vomiting then please remove food for 12 hours but if there is no vomiting then hopefully this will pass within 24 hours of ingestion. If it does continue then please consider a veterinary examination

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I hope your little one is doing well and would love an update however I am signing off for the night...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in to see how your Yorkie is doing after your question last night? Did he recover alright? I would love an update when you are able...