Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My giant schnauzer has drop foot on s right back leg. Is

Customer Question

My giant schnauzer has drop foot on his right back leg. Is there an orthopedic shoe that could help him. (He is 11years old).
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

There are orthopedic devices that can help with placement of the foot and minimizing trauma to the foot from placing incorrectly. I always advise having a veterinary physical therapist familiar with these devices evaluate and measure to ensure the right brace is used for your dog and to minimize ulcerations/ erosions from an incorrect fit or the wrong one being used.

CLICK HERE for an example of one of these boots. If you speak to a physical therapist, all have their favorite company that they work with regularly to ensure the proper fit and function.

CLICK HERE for a link to veterinary physical therapists in the US to consult with...

If this specialist is not involved then I do worry about improper fit, wear on areas of the foot that can cause erosions or ulcerations and pain as well so please make sure to find someone who is comfortable with this process. It is definitely worth the financial investment. In addition, they can give home exercises to strengthen that leg and minimize progressive muscle wasting of the affected foot

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman