Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My great dane was neutered 5 days ago. s scrotum has swollen

Customer Question

My great dane was neutered 5 days ago. His scrotum has swollen up so much it has blood seeping outta the pores in his scrotum. Is this normal? what can I do? Should i take him to another vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, this is not normal. If it started this late, he likely was bit too active and has disrupted the clot on the tied off vessels the healing muscle layer. In any case, if we have active seepage of blood from the scrotum, we do want him seen urgently. Most vets offer post operative checks as part of the cost of the neuter, so I would advise ringing your vet to be seen as soon as possible. Often we don't need to go back in surgically but it is just important to check (in case he has a clotting issue or one of the ligatures has slipped) just in case. If you are having issues with his vet addressing this, then you may want a local second opinion to make sure there is nothing being missed here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )