Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a wire fox terrier. He has developed severe

Customer Question

I have a wire fox terrier. He has developed severe scratching and biting in all areas of his body. The hair on his legs and underbody has turned reddish brown. bathing does little good other than a brief stay of the itching and biting. What can do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel ripped off. I want my $35.00 credited to my account!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I see that you requested a live phone call, I am not currently set up to make a live call but I can help you through this thread. Would you like to continue or do you prefer to wait to speak to another expert?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please continue as is.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

OK great, I have a few questions for you to have a better understanding of what is happening.

1- How old is your dog?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is he currently on any medications?

5- How much does he weigh?

6- Has he been seen by a veterinarian for this problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. 5 years old
2. Two or three months
3. No
4. NO
5. 23 pounds
6. VeternianS, yes
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Did your vet do any testing for the skin or placed him on any medications?

2- Are you seeing any lesions on the skin like: Crusty, flaky, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MY problem is that most vets don't have a clue about allergies.Yes skin was very expensively tested. I am seeing crusty lesions
on skin. His most severe biting seems to be about his feet.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- What did your vet find on the skin testing?

2- What are you feeding him?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it seems you have gone offline. I will opt out so another expert can help you if you return. I will be going offline and don't want you waiting if you return.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about the problems with your pup. Allergies can be a very frustrating situation to deal with in our pets! It sounds like your dog likely has a secondary skin infection due to allergies if he has crusty lesions on the skin. This happens because the natural protective barrier of the skin is reduced with allergies and bacteria are more easily able to get below the surface of the skin. Almost always, this requires treatment with an antibiotic, usually for at least 3 or 4 weeks depending on how deep the skin infection is. Oftentimes a course of steroids is needed initially to reduce the itching and inflammation as well. If this is the first time your pet has had a breakout like this, it is harder to determine the cause. There are basically 2 main types of allergies in dogs. Food allergies (we can see them develop at any age and even if the dog has been eating that food their whole life). Food allergies are year round since they are always eating the food. Allergies to environmental allergens such as grasses, pollens, trees, etc. are the other type and often theses area seasonal. There is not test for food allergies other than putting your dog on a strict diet trial usually for 6 to 8 weeks to see if the skin improves. There are prescription diets your vet can prescribe for this, or you can cook your own diet if you don't wish to purchase the food. The allergies to the environment can be tested for and allergy shots can be used in severe cases. Since this is the first time (it appears) that this has happened with your pup, you may not need to jump to that yet. There are a few things you can try at home to see if you can decrease the occurrence of the environmental/seasonal allergies. The first thing I would recommend would be to start him on a fatty acid supplement. These are usually available as gel caps that you can squirt onto their food, or as a liquid that you can squirt on the food. They area available at most pet stores, and the label should tell you how much to use based on their size. Most vet offices will also carry them and they usually aren't too pricey. The fatty acid supplement will help keep the skin moisturized and also has anti inflammatory effects. I would keep your pets on this year round. I would also consider starting your dogs on a daily antihistamine such as benadryl or zytrec at the beginning of whatever tends to be their "itchy season" . Starting it BEFORE they start breaking out, and keep them on it throughout whatever season of the year causes itching. Putting booties and shirts on the dogs before they go outside can also help, just by decreasing the amount they are coming into contact with allergens outside. Also wiping them down each time after they come inside, to decrease the amount of allergens on their skin. You can use baby wipes or just a wet washcloth/towel. The other thing you can do during those allergenic months is bathing them frequently to remove the allergens and bacteria. When we have dogs with allergies what happens is their natural protective barriers on their skin is reduced and so bacteria that normally wouldn't bother a pet with healthy skin can get past those barriers and cause problems like infections or hot spots. The thing you must make sure you do if you are bathing frequently though (2 to 3 times weekly) is to make sure you are using moisturizing product afterwards, so ensure they do not get dried out. You can also just bathe the area that is affected by the allergies if it is just one area (i.e. just the feet or just the belly). Your vets office should have shampoos and moisturizers available.

As I said initially, however, it sounds like your dog needs to be treated for a secondary skin infection first, and other treatments are not going to help unless we get rid of the bacteria (and sometimes yeast as well) first.

I hope this information may offer some ideas to you. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that I am not set up to take phone calls. I can answer your questions over the computer or I can opt out of your question and see if another expert is available to take your phone call. Just let me know how you would like to proceed.