Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I'm kinda lost and helpless right now we somewhat adopted a

Customer Question

Hello I'm kinda lost and helpless right now we somewhat adopted a 11 mos old poodle mix and she is pregnant and her belly is huge. I believe she's going into Labor right now she can't sit still she's panting heavy and she doesn't know what to do she's confused I myself don't really know what to do can you help me out
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Miah. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long has she been panting heavily? Is she pushing at all? If she is pushing, she would stop, hold her breath, and push as if she was trying to have a bowel movement.

Normally you do not have to do anything. A dog goes into labor and starts to push, and the first puppy should be born within 20 minutes or so when she starts pushing. If she is pushing for more than 45 minutes and no puppy has been born, that is when she may need help, and may need to see a veterinarian to be checked to see if her cervix is open, and maybe given an injection to help the contractions.

Rarely, we have to do a C section to save the life of the mother, if she can't push the puppies out.

All you can do is try to keep her quiet, and maybe confined to a room with some clean towels and blankets. Each puppy is born with its own placenta, in a sac with a cord attaching the puppy to the placenta. Usually the mother does everything, but you can cut and tie the cords if you think she is not doing it.

I hope all goes well, and nature takes its course, but if she looks like she is in labor for more than 45 minutes without having a puppy, I would have her checked by your veterinarian.

Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Miah doing? Any puppies yet?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I did not hear back from you. How is Miah doing?