Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has not pooped in 2 or 3 days. Is there somehing I

Customer Question

my dog has not pooped in 2 or 3 days. Is there somehing I can give her? She is a Yorke female 3 1/2 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now provided that your lass isn't off her food (since little in will mean little out),hasn't eaten anything that could cause a physical blockage preventing feces from passing, and has no belly pain (since that would raise concerns of serious issue or severe impaction that should be evaluated by your family vet urgently) then there are some home treatments you can try to promote her passing feces.

In regards ***** ***** options, you can start by offering some milk. We do find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along if a dog has mild constipation. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used for this as well. This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.

Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax(1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). This can be given up to every 8 hours as needed to help clear her out.

Furthermore, if this is a common issue for her , then you can mix some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into her food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it. As well, wet food has the benefit of getting more water in since canned food is 35% water. Also do encourage her to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure that she has fresh water and you can even offer low salt chicken broth if she won’t drink.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal and urinary output (just to make sure her urination isn't the issue). If you try the above but are not seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or your wee one begins to vomit, show belly pain, or worsens, then we'd want to see her local vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation) to clear them out.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )