Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has been diagnosed with food related allergies and

Customer Question

My dog has been diagnosed with food related allergies and IBD. He is eating only hyerolised protien hypoallergenic food and fruit/vegetable treats. His attacks of nausea and upset tummy have calmed down (never had diarreah) and we've been off prednisone for almost 6 months. Today he had an attack. Started about three hours ago. Gave him Cerenia and Pepcid. He stopped whining, but is still pacing and looking for anything he can find to eat, we have to shut him in the kitchen with baby gates so he doesn't eat the curtains or table cloth. In the past we've gone to the emergency vet several times. All they do is sedate him, usually with Tramadol. They gave us a prescription for it when the attacks were more frequent, but we are out. He has eaten his regular dinner (hand fed slowly aster softening with water). Keeping it down, but still pacing, panting, drooling, and from time to time half coughing half dry heaving. So my question is, can I give him benedryl to sedate him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there's no contraindication to diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at a maximum of 50 mg and repeated in 8-12 hours if necessary. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read that the dosage for benedryl for dogs is 1 mg per pound. My dog is 140 lbs (1/2 Great Pyrenees and 1/2 Bernese Mtn dog). Is 50 mg the right dose for him?

The recommended dose is 1-2 mg/lb with a maximum of 50 mg. There's no added benefit to exceeding 50 mg and adverse effects are likely to occur over that amount - paradoxical excitement and agitation, for example.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. Thinking we'll start with 40mg since he's never had it before.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Hi Chris,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Huxley. How is everything going?