Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My 12 yr. old dachshound has been vomiting and having dark

Customer Question

my 12 yr. old dachshound has been vomiting and having dark runny stools with red blood in it. I have been giving her water every two hours but she can't keep it down too long. this has been going on for two days.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear that Kea isn't feeling well. It sounds like she has been sick for two days now? Based on your description of her symptoms, I am very concerned she could have a condition known as hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE. This can be a life threatening condition if it goes untreated because it can cause fluid loss leading to shock. Because it has been going on for 2 days in Kea, I would recommend getting her into the vet ASAP, if you have an emergency clinic is your area that is open tonight, I would bring her in now. Dogs with this condition need aggressive IV fluid therapy as well as antivomiting injections and antibiotics. The longer you wait to bring her in to treat, the longer she will likely have to be in the hospital. You can read more about HGE in this article: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2946

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about Kea.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kea. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay