Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 5lb Yorkiepoo puppy accidentally ate my 37.5mg effexor

Customer Question

My 5lb Yorkiepoo puppy accidentally ate my 37.5mg effexor capsule last night. I wasn't sure if she did or not but today she is very sleepy and no appetite. She does go outside to potty tho
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. While there are no guarantees my previous experience with this drug is that this is not likely to be a fatal incident but it is now too late to try and recover the Effexor tablet by inducing vomiting since this should be done in the first hour after ingestion.

2. This is always a gamble of course but as long as you are not seeing any symptoms other than lethargy and depression then it may be reasonably safe just to support your dog over the next 12 hours or so as the drug naturally drains from her system. However if she does not start to recover after this period or you see any sort of deterioration such as tremors then you would be best to have Allie checked over by an ER vet without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Allie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Effexor incident...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.