Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I have a Maltese puppy that weighs 2lbs the puppy was fine

Customer Question

hey i have a Maltese puppy that weighs 2lbs the puppy was fine until i took it to my vet and they gave him a kennel cough vaccine now he has not eaten in 2 days but drinking a little water i am giving him Gatorade through a dropper im scared he will die will the vaccine make my puppy sick i feel so sorry for him the vet gave me some medicine for vomiting and loose stool all it wants to do is sleep please help me so he won't die i feel like the vet should not have given him the vaccine he was fine until he got it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am very sorry to hear about Poco. I am happy to help you this evening. Unfortunately the vaccine is a necessary thing since kennel cough can be fatal in young puppies. We just never know which puppies could have a reaction to the vaccine. He should hopefully be getting over this shortly but keeping him hydrated and keep his blood sugar up is very important. You may want to add in some baby foods such as turkey or chicken into the routine to get some nutrition in him. You can smear it into his mouth to get him to eat small amounts and get some nutrition in this way. Also eye droppers of plain water and gatorade is a good idea. This helps with electrolytes and fluids. You can also give small amounts of honey, karo syrup, or sugar water frequently to help keep his blood sugars up. It may take a couple days but hopefully he will start feeling better very shortly. You will want to do the water or gatorade or the honey or karo syrup and baby food every 2 to 3 hours to prevent swings in hydration and blood sugar. If you do not see any improvement by tomorrow he needs to be seen again by your vet to have some blood work done to make sure it is not something else making him this sick and then possibly to treat more aggressively.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!