Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Fecal test was positive on our Norfolk terrier. She was on

Customer Question

Fecal test was positive for kryptosporidiun on our Norfolk terrier. She was on an antibiotic for almost a month and tired the end of the medication she was not eating. Vet said it was from the antibiotic and to give her pepsin ac, we tried a chicken rice pumpkin diet, she ate but not like she typically would. She has been off the antibiotic for a week and vomited Friday and she still isn't eating great. They started her on cerenia 1 x a day and sucrafate 3 x's aday to coat her stomach. She did ok Friday and Saturday but Sunday she threw up her afternoon pills and is back to not eating
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years.

Can you tell me a bit more... what she having diarrhea when they sent out the initial fecal? Was it just a regular fecal or did they do a PCR test do you know? And what did they use to treat it? Crytosporidium is complicated because nothing there are no studies and there are a few treatments, but none are completely effective.