Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have a French bulldog and he ate a packet of hazelnuts

Customer Question

We have a French bulldog and he ate a packet of hazelnuts that I were activating in my food dehydrator. This morning he is acting strange, lying down and no energy. He has passed I would more than half of them in his excreta, mainly whole. Should I take him to the vet, or wait awhile to see if symptoms pass.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

While hazelnuts are nontoxic to dogs, they're just the right size to obstruct the small intestine. Anorexia and persistent vomiting are the hallmarks of obstruction and should prompt having Bernie's abdomen X-rayed or ultrasounded. Because he hasn't demonstrated those symptoms to date, you're justified in continuing to "watchful wait" and see if his continuing to excrete those nuts will suffice to normalize him. I don't recommend dosing him with a laxative. That can be dangerous if obstruction is developing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.