Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We have a great dane - 16 mo old. - last night he began

Customer Question

Hi - We have a great dane - 16 mo old. - last night he began chewing on a seed pod from a wisteria plant last night. He did not ingest any seeds - but did break into the pod before I took it away. Today he is not eating and has vomited twice. What are your recommendations?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear your dog is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Wisteria is in fact toxic to dogs, you can check this out at the ASPCA poisonous plants database HERE

2. Exposure to wisteria will cause vomiting but hopefully from what you have told me so far yours will be a minor case because the seeds and pod where not actually swallowed. This a gamble of course but with minor cases you may be able to handle things on a home remedy basis. Here are some ideas ...

A. The likes of Pepcid may well help to settle your dog's stomach, follow this link for more information including dose rates etc. LINK

B. If the Pepcid settles his stomach then try to tempt him to eat by feeding him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Dane is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Wisteria incident...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.