Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

We have a mini-schnauzer. About 2 months ago she started

Customer Question

We have a mini-schnauzer. About 2 months ago she started pooing 3-5 times a day, then she started peeing in the house which she NEVER did. Her eyesight seems to be failing. she sometimes just stands and stares. She has to go out in the middle of the night. Just prior to these changes, our neighbors moved away (who she adored). She used to stay with them when we went out of town. We had to go out of town shortly after they moved away and she stayed in a kennel. She also had a flu shot at the kennel. She used to LOVE her walks. Now she digs in her heels when it's time for a walk. I am so worried about her. She almost seems depressed...but there are so many symptoms. Any advice? We took her to a vet about 3 weeks ago. They did blood work and a urinalysis and found nothing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr.Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problems with Ali. It sounds like your veterinarian has already done bloodwork and a urinalysis on Ali which were all normal. Given the information you have provided, the first thing that came to mind for me is Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. This is a disease which can cause many of the symptoms you have described, such as loss of housetraining, changes in behavior, disorientation (including staring into space). I see Ali is 7 years old, which is on the younger side of when we usually see this syndrome, but is still within the range of ages it is found in. There are some treatments that can improve quality of life for some dogs. These include Anipryl (a prescription your vet can prescribe or call in for you) and SAMe (a supplement that is available at your vet or over the counter). You can read a little more about the disorder in this article:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2549

I would call your vet and tell her your concern and see if they think this might be possible in Ali's case, and if they can prescribe medication if they feel it is needed. There are also some prescription diets available that are high in antioxidants and fatty acids that help some dogs. Most treatments take a month or so to see results.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ali. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay