Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 16 year old cairn terrier who, of course, has been

Customer Question

I have a 16 year old cairn terrier who, of course, has been showing his age. He has lost his hearing and has lost most of his eye sight due to cataracts. What I'm most concerned about is his severe weight loss in the past couple months. He also is always thirsty and has frequent urination. Thanks for your help. My spouse does not want me to take him to the vet. I want to take him there.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Scotty is showing these symptoms. Increased water intake, urination and weight loss can be an indication of many things including bladder stones, kidney disease, cushing's disease, diabetes. All are manageable once diagnosed but diagnosis is key to prevent progression where treatment becomes less responsive to therapy. For example, if we have diabetes and it is left untreated it can lead to an emergency where we have diabetic ketoacidosis which requires hospitalization to stabilize.

But if a diagnosis is made before we get to an urgent state often we can stabilize disease...again if caught and diagnosed so treatment can be initiated.

I know it is difficult to convince a spouse of this process and often it is that they don't want to hear that there is something wrong with their senior friend. I wish I could make this process easier for you, an exam and bloodwork +/- urinalysis is key to getting Scotty stabilized so we don't have further weight loss and the increased water intake/ urination will subside

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, best wishes to you and getting Scotty seen soon...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am signing off for the night but will return tomorrow if you have any additional questions or concerns.