petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

I have 3 dogs 1 Cocker and 2 Bostons The Cocker has

Customer Question

I have 3 dogs 1 Cocker and 2 Bostons
The Cocker has allergies and skin problems, he gets an Abtagin shot every 2 weeks.... He also has black skin what home remedy would help him he is 8 yrs old. I just bought witch hazel w/ 14%
Alcohol
Gay Gilbert
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Injections 2xamonth
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also has black skin ( yeast)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am putting 1 tea of Applecider vinger in there water
And coconut oil in Baileys food
That just started
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the male Boston is very itching
On his paws and genetals 8yrs of age can I put witch hazel on him too
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Black skin in usually a sign of chronically inflammed skin and these type of changes are often secondarily infected with either bacteria or yeast organisms as well. There is nothing harmful in using the witch hazel, except the 14% alcohol is likely going to sting on that irritated skin, so I don't think they are going to allow it to be used for too long.

Unfortunately, what it sounds like they need is veterinary intervention so that antibiotics or anti-fungal medication can be prescribed for them. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help and certainly won't hurt. An antiseptic shampoo from the pet store can decrease the bacteria and yeast if they are present. I like the product called Hexedene® because it contains chlorhexidine which is effective on bacteria and yeast. There is also a "leave-on" product called Resi-chlor® with similar ingredients that can be used on the lesions themselves.

Allergic dogs can be difficult to manage and I would definitely work closely with your vet to find an effective treatment metod for them to not only treat them now, but manage them so there are less outbreaks.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do work with my vet very closely, however it's very costly. I was hopeing for some home remedy. ACV won't help any?
Thanks for your time
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

ACV may reduce yeast numbers a little if present, but it is irritating due to it's acidity and can be drying which will further add to skin itchiness.

If surface bacteria are present you may do better to use Dakin's solution to reduce bacteria, but managing allergic skin changes requires more than just reducing surface organisms.

Here is a link with information about how to make Dakin's solution. LINK HERE

Treatment for all animals with allergic dermatitis should include:

1. Bathing and clipping the hair coat to a short length which helps to decrease exposure and contact to environmental triggers. Bathing with appropriate veterinary shampoos will not dry out the skin and follow up with a humectant like Humilac® to protect skin moisture: Humilac

2. Restore the skin's barrier function with nutrients and topical products. A few of the newest topical products that show promise are:

1) Dermoscent® - helps to restore the lipid layer of the skin and helps to maintain it's hydration and normal skin defenses against allergens, especially the barrier function. See link: Dermoscent.

2) Allerderm Spot On® - help repair and restore the epidermal (skin) barrier in canine and feline patients suffering from skin disease. See link: Allerderm spot on

3) Sogeval® DOUXO® Seborrhea Spot-on - helps to restructure the epidermal barrier and control inflammation. See link: Douxo Spot on

Hope that helps.