petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

I have a Sheltie female dog, She has car sickness. My

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have a Sheltie female dog,
She has car sickness. My current Vet prescribed Cerenia,
But it actually make the car sickness worse.
The only person that could take care of Lola is traveling and I have to travel with her, could you please help me?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Have you tried Dramamine for her? This is the motion sickness medicine that is used for people?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for getting back to me. No I never tried Dramamine, only the Cerenia. She is very sensitive, one mile in the car and She is already throwing up.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

You can try Dramamine. There are two formulations.

The original Dramamine ( Dimenhydrinate) will make her sleepy. It is dosed at 2-4 mg/lb and is available over the counter.

If you don't want the sedation, try Dramamine II - or Meclizine - also available over the counter as Dramamine Less Drowsy - The dose is one 25 mg tablet every 24 hours for dogs over 20 pounds.

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll buy and give it a try.
Thank you.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, I'm sorry that I took so long to get back here. Well...I traveled with my dog Lola, it was a 4hours driving, for the first 30 minutes the Dramamine worked but then she started to throw up, 6 times and did not fall asleep. I was so frustated and feeling really bad for her, thinking about our trip going back home...
Before coming back home I Went for a 40 minutes fast walk with her and after I gave the Dramamine again then I waited 40 min, after 40 min She throw up but only once. She fall asleep 1 hour later.
So I really don't know what to think.
Could u help again?
Thank you
Luana
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

If you haven't tried it, I would give the Dramamine II or Less drowsy a try. For some, it works better.

Also I am not sure where Lola sits when you travel, but if you can keep her from looking outside (like maybe use a dog crate or carrier, that sometimes helps.

In some dogs, it seems they do better if they are fasted before the trip.