Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has Diarrhea since yesterday, I read you can give

Customer Question

My dog has Diarrhea since yesterday, I read you can give them Pepto, Immdiem, or Kaopectate? Is this true? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry that Payton is having some loose stools.

Unfortunately imodium should be avoided in dogs, especially herding breeds which can have a reaction to this product and can have serious consequences. Pepto actually turns the stools black which we want to avoid because it can be confused with a stomach bleed and in my experience doesn't help much with loose stools

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours or prilosec (omeprazole) 0. 5mg/ pound daily can help settle the stomach
- Reducing her regular food and mixing in white rice and lean boiled meat which is bland yet bulking to her stools. Adding water as you already are is great to minimize dehydration
- If needed you can add other ingredients to bulk up the stool, 1 tbsp canned pumpkin twice daily, miralax 1 tsp twice daily with meals are great stool binders

But if the stools are not improving, there is blood in the stool, nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass), vomiting, or lethargy then please consider a veterinary exam since with her age this can be an indication of something more serious going on with her.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today! I hope she is improving soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Payton. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman