Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 10 month old Chug is listless,pees in house instead of

Customer Question

my 10 month old Chug is listless,pees in house instead of going outside, acts like he just does not feel good./ usually very active and playful
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry your little dog is not feeling well. Is he moving slower? Is his gait stiff and/ or tail tucked? Also is he eating? Any signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass), vomiting, diarrhea? Is his urine stronger than normal or have any red or brown color to it? Straining to urinate? Any information you can give will help guide my assistance today. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no eating and slow walking and tail tucked are only symtoms
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Is the slow walk stiff gaited? When you offer food does he turn away and lick his lips or show no interest whatsoever?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Is he hesitating jumping on/ off furniture or going up / down stairs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will not jump off couch
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

OK so with these symptoms and his breed my primary concern is going to be some type of back injury or pain. He didn't necessarily do something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation or injury because of their anatomy.

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is your dog feeling after our conversation?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!