Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

I've had my dog to the vet...They did X-rays and blood

Customer Question

I've had my dog to the vet...They did X-rays and blood work....His blood work looked good..xrays showed some minor inflamation in the intestines....He will not eat, but is drinking and going outside to pee....He is shivering at times....Any ideas....I'll take him back to the vet tomorrow....Is there anything we can do right now? Thank you....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to try to help with your question.

Intestinal upset is one of those things that can be very severe without showing very many changes on blood work and X-rays. It is a good thing that he is drinking. Did your veterinarian give you any medications to settle his stomach? I wouldn't worry about trying to get him to eat... let his digestive system rest. It can take days for their appetite to pick up and believe it or not, they do fine not eating for a few days. Try liquids only. Some dilute chicken broth is good. If your veterinarian gave you any medications to settle his stomach that would be helpful. The only over the counter medication that is helpful is Pepcid A/C (famotadine 10mg) You can give 1 tablet every 12 hours. The shivering worries me a little. If he is vomiting (i.e. can't hold down liquids) or if his abdomen is distended or painful then it might be better to try to find a veterinarian who can see him today. Occasionally dogs that we think just have stomach upset, have pancreatitis instead. Pancreatitis can be very serious and require hospitalization on IV medications to treat.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know.