Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My vet gave my dog an enema yesterday morning because she

Customer Question

My vet gave my dog an enema yesterday morning because she was coughing, couldn't bark well, and had vomited bad a couple of days earlier. The x-rays showed she was badly constipated. After returning home, she has gone poop every few hours since with blood in her stools. I called the emergency vet last night to see if we should bring her in or if we should/could wait it out. They thought we could wait it out until today to see how things progressed. The blood is not as bad, but is for sure still there and not at all what I would expect. I can't tell you the consistency of the poop because she goes in yard. What I can tell you is the last time she went and we wiped her butt with a wipe (Pamper Sensitive), there was some brown on it as well as the blood, whereas prior it was just the pink blood. Do you think it's okay to wait it out until tomorrow to see how she does? Should we start feeding her a jasmine rice and boiled beef or rice combo? If so, what is the ratio for this recipe? I should also tell you that she was groomed on Friday and her anal glands were expressed. I don't know if the bleeding could also be coming from those because the outside of her butt is inflamed. Thank you for your help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to try to hep with your question.

Having a small amount of blood in the stool (or from the anal glands) is not necessarily an emergency. Dogs have very superficial blood vessels in their colon and can have some blood with any irritation... from the conception or just from colitis. I think it is fine to wait until tomorrow as long as there is nothing else going on. If she is still vomiting, if she is weak or lethargic, or if she is straining constantly I would go today.

I would start feeding the beef (rinse the fat off) and rice. I usually take a cup of rice to a quarter cup of meat mixed. Feed it in several small meals a day.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions, let me know.

Dr. Stacy