Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog seems to be coughing like something in throat. Gave

Customer Question

My dog seems to be coughing like something in throat. Gave her a treat this morning. Like a chew ...?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a couple possibilities for this cough. The chew may have irritated Leilani's throat and this will resolve on its own. This could also be kennel Cough since this is a very contagious disease that older dogs are more susceptable to and has a hacking cough like there is something stuck in the throat. This is treated with Robitussin DM, 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of Leilani's weight every 8 hrs.

This type of cough is also a typical sign of heart disease and, considering Leilani's age, I would certainly have your vet examine Leilani on Monday to be sure. This cough sounds the same as the cough caused by irritation or Kennel Cough.

If there was something actually caught in her throat, she would not stop hacking until it was gone.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****