Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

After taking our pittie to the dog park several mornings, I

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Scott, after taking our pittie to the dog park several mornings, I noticed red little bumps, like a rash on her bellie . Also her poop was green. She is not scratchine her bellie. Could it be allergies?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr.B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on Kali's history, allergies from eating grass/plants or direct contact could cause the rash we are seeing. Though if the rash has pimple like lesions, then bacterial infection would be suspect. Just to note, her green stool is likely due to having eaten grass or a highly pigmented food. If you are keeping her from the dog park for a few days, we'd expect that to settle.

In regards ***** ***** rash, if it is an allergy, it may reduce once she is away from the part. Still, you could also try her with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic reaction. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. As well, you can also salt water bathe this area daily to help reduce any risk of bacterial infection for her. And if she did show itchiness, then we may need to keep this area covered with a breatheable cover (ie tshirt +/- boxer shorts) to protect the area.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I use Epsom salt to bathe that area?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

You can add a tablespoon of Epsom salt to a pint warm water for bathing this area. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.