Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Can a dog with raccoon roundworms infect a person by licking

Customer Question

Can a dog with raccoon roundworms infect a person by licking or biting him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I see you have some questions about raccoon roundworms. Has your dog been diagnosed with this problem?

The way roundworms are transmitted is by the fecal-oral route. This means the eggs are shed in the stool of an infected animal and to be infected, a person would have to orally ingest the infected stool. This can happen if someone is handling the stool or gets stool on their hands and doesn't wash it off before eating or some other way accidentally ingests it. The chances of this is greater in children because they aren't as good at remembering to wash their hands! It isn't passed in the saliva of the dog though, so biting or licking someone wouldn't be an issue unless the dog had just ingested some poop and had it in his mouth. The safest thing to do would be to get your pup on a monthly heartworm preventative with a dewormer that will help treat and prevent reinfection with the roundworms. Please let me know if you have any other questions!