Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

The top of my dogs head started to spasm while he was

Customer Question

the top of my dogs head started to spasm while he was sleeping in the middle of the night. then he would get up and walk away from me and lay some where else and lift his head straight up and back like he was stretching it then lay back down. this went on several times through out the night. I finally woke up with him at 4am and had him walk around and he seems fine. i am very concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The behavior you've described suggests encephalopathy (brain disorder) in dogs. The spasms are likely to represent simple partial seizures (previously called petit mal) and the severe neck hyperextension is a behavior associated with brain disorders. Idiopathic epilepsy is commonly diagnosed at your dog's age but his vet should take a look at him and consider infectious disorders (encephalitis) such as Neospora as well. I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Kelli,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?